The residency program has a very active didactic program throughout the academic year. In July of 2011, we began using the Surgical Council on Resident Education (SCORE) online software as our primary source of board review.
- Board Review using SCORE modules
- Peer Review: General and Vascular Surgery
- Tumor Board
- Clinical Case Conferences
- Attending Lectures (various physicians from the area lecture on their specific expertise)
- Breast Conference
- Morbidity and Mortality Conference
- Journal Club (sponsored by various pharmaceutical companies, usually at an outside location)
- Cleveland Clinic General Surgery Grand Rounds (videoconferences)
- General surgery residents participate in laparoscopy labs using our ProMis Lap Simulator. Depending on the level of education, the attending preceptor will review all aspects from safety and patient positioning to performing procedures.
- The residents also have the opportunity to attend the Citywide Lab Resident Rounds at the Cleveland Clinic and University Hospital. There are three basic courses and four advanced courses throughout the year. They consist of a lecture and either a dry or wet lab.
- Throughout the academic year the residents are able to develop many labs with the assistance of the skills lab coordinator. They vary depending on the interest and need of the residents.
- The senior residents are also called upon to assist with the medical student skills labs, which gives them the experience to develop a program and teach.
South Pointe Hospital ~ 20000 Harvard Road, Warrensville Hts., Ohio 44122 ~ Phone: 216.491.7460 ~ Fax: 216.491.7802